10 Fun Facts About the Turks and Caicos
- Technically, the Turks and Caicos are located in the Atlantic Ocean, not the Caribbean Sea.
- The Turks and Caicos Islands have nearly 400 kilometers of coastline over its 40 islands.
- There is over 230 miles of beach, most of it softest white sands on Earth.
- Water temperature in the summer is 82 to 84 degrees (28-29 degrees Celsius) and in winter about 74 to 78 degrees (23-26 degrees Celsius).
- Provo and the surrounding islands have their own “ambassador dolphin”.
Image courtesy Wikimedia
- The Turks and Caicos is the site of an annual Humpback whale migration.
- There are no lakes or rivers – freshwater supplies depend entirely on rainfall or expensive desalinated water.
- The Conch Bar Caves, located on Middle Caicos, is the largest above-ground cavesystem in the Bahamas-Turks and Caicos Islands archipelago.
- NASA’s Friendship 7 mission ended when John Glenn splashed down in his capsule in the Atlantic, off the Turks and Caicos Islands.
- Public nudity is illegal throughout the islands.